Making an impact on improving safety

By Troy Wells
My name is Troy Wells and I am looking forward to the opportunity to serve as the president for Operation Impact, Wichita/Sedgwick County Region. I have been with the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office for the last 23 years and currently serve as the Sergeant assigned to Special Operations.
Throughout my career, I have focused on and enjoyed working traffic because I believe it plays a significant role in deterring dangerous drivers. My experiences as a child helped to form this belief. When I was in the fifth grade, I came home from school and learned my dad had been killed in a motor vehicle collision. Not until years later, did I find out my father had been intoxicated at the time of the crash, and I felt just furious inside that my father would do this to me. The experience did lead to my desire to enter the field of law enforcement; so that I could make a difference, and deter people from driving impaired.
While on patrol, I spent 21 years working the street, enforcing traffic laws to the best of my ability. I averaged approximately 150 citations a month, in addition to general case loads. I also had the opportunity to become an accident re-constructionist, where I have worked multiple accidents involving impaired drivers. Since January 2009, I have served as the sergeant for Special Operations, directing the K-9 units, truck inspectors, fatality accident investigations and all traffic operation grants supplied by KDOT.
While serving in this capacity, I have worked with two individuals who have been a great help to me, Robert Eichorn and Dave Corp. Robert has assisted me in many areas, including acquiring a DUI trailer, which will be a huge asset to our area. Dave has also assisted in many areas, the most recent being Operation Impact. This project is designed to bring all the agencies in and around the Sedgwick County area together to work towards common goals, including working together on DUI check lanes, seatbelt enforcement, and additional traffic problems identified the agencies.
So far we have held two meetings, identifying several similar concerns. The meetings have enabled us to listen to the different ways our agencies are dealing with the concerns and to find fresh ideas on how to work together to help solve problems.

Troy Wells is with Operation Impact in Sedgwick County. 

No comments:

Post a Comment