U Text, U Drive, U Lose

By Erica Bell
Some of you may know who I am, but for those who don’t, here’s what happened to me in a nutshell. I am 16 and I was on my way to work one day and wrecked my car on the flyover from the Westgate Bridge to Gage Blvd. I hit the inside wall of the flyover head on; if there had been anyone in the inside lane, I probably would have died. Lucky for me, there wasn’t.
I had been regularly texting and driving for a while. When I started driving I thought I would never do it; I knew it was dangerous and I never thought I would make such a dumb decision. But then there were a few times I did it, and then I got more and more comfortable with it and started doing it all the time. HUGE mistake!
Since I survived, I feel that I must share with everyone how dangerous texting and driving is. Like me, lots of people think that they will never do it, but then it happens a few times and you start doing it more and more and become comfortable with it. What I am trying to say is just don’t even start doing it. If the text is that important, then pull over and call the person or respond. If it’s not important enough to pull over, then it’s not important enough to die over. My text was from a boy that I liked, and I thought that it was super-important, but the truth is that that boy wasn’t important enough to risk my life for, and I am super-lucky that I didn’t die. So please do not risk your life and the lives of others over a silly text that can wait until you are stopped. And if it is that important, PULL OVER!!!

Erica Bell is a junior at Seaman High School in Topeka. 

No comments:

Post a Comment