Vehicle accidents affect everyone

By Lt. Donald B. Roberson, Jr.
     As a police officer, I have worked many accidents.  Most of the time your training and experience helps you to emotionally deal with the victim’s injuries (or carnage) that you may find at the scene, but sometimes it doesn’t. 
     About 10 years ago I was working as a School Resource Officer, monitoring traffic in school zones after school.  
     As I was watching traffic, I was dispatched to an injury accident in front of my high school.  I pulled up and saw that the front of one vehicle had impacted the driver’s side of a second vehicle.  I positioned my patrol vehicle to protect the accident from traffic, radioed the situation to dispatch and made sure other police units and EMS were responding.  I exited my vehicle to check the welfare of the victims involved in the accident and at the same time was assessing what I needed to do for traffic safety until assisting police units and EMS arrived. 
     Other police units arrived as I approached vehicle, which had been hit on the driver’s side.  I looked through the broken driver’s window and saw the female driver covered with glass and the driver’s door caved into her seat.   There was another girl in the front passenger seat.  At that moment I realized the driver was a student I was working closely with on school projects and her sister was sitting next to her.  It was like seeing my own daughters sitting in the car. 
     At that time, an officer came up to me and asked if I was alright (I was later told that when I looked into the car that the color just drained out of my face).  This accident caught me emotionally off guard and I felt like a panicked parent.  I pulled myself together once we had ample officers on the scene. I stepped back and let them work the accident.
     In my years as an officer, I have worked serious injury and fatality accidents (felt empathy and worked with victims and families of those involved); however this accident was different for me because, unexpectedly, it was someone I knew. 

Vehicle accidents affect everyone, even those who are in emergency services.

     The collision can not only be life altering for those involved, but also for the responders who are trained to provide rescue services.  Since then I remind myself that as an emergency responder, I must be emotionally prepared to handle whatever situation I encounter. However, we responders are still only human.
     The driver and her sister had minor injuries.  Since the accident, the driver has completed college and she is now working in the criminal justice field.

Lt. Donald B. Roberson, Jr. is the Patrol Commander/Training Coordinator with the Andover Police Department

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/13/2013

    Law enforcement officers have to face such difficult situations when responding to a crash. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/13/2013

    I work for KDOT and some of our equipment operators have had to direct traffic after bad crashes and they often times know the local people involved, so they too have similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad these young women were relatively unscathed. The fact you were so impacted by the unexpected connection with the victims just shows you are human. I can't imagine how police officers and emergency responders deal with these situations on a regular basis. Thank you for sharing your story and for your service to our communities.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9/17/2013

    I don't think everyone realizes how hard it is for law enforcement officers who arrive at crashes etc. to view the situation. Your job is not an easy one. Even if you don't know the those involved. We thank you every day for what you do to protect and help us.

    ReplyDelete